Vernon Memorial Healthcare offers Diabetes Self-Management Education. Our goal is to provide patients with the information and skills to successfully manage diabetes through a multidisciplinary team approach.
- Individual assessment and training with a registered nurse
- Individual consult with a registered dietitian/nutritionist
- Four group sessions held weekly (scheduled by appointment)
Group sessions incorporate information to manage diabetes from a registered nurse, registered dietitian/nutritionist and a clinical exercise physiologist.
Individual and group classes focus on the AADE's Self-Care behaviors. These include healthy eating, being active, monitoring, taking medication, problem solving, reducing risks and healthy coping. We strive to help patients live a long and healthy life by managing their diabetes through knowledge and skills by applying the 7 Self-Care behaviors.
FREE Monthly meetings aimed at helping all people with diabetes and those who support them. Each meeting discusses a new topic in a supportive and friendly atmosphere.
Last Wednesday of every month. 2-3 p.m.
Viroqua Area Medical Office Building, Conference Room B
407 South Main Street, Viroqua.
- Jan. 25 - New Year’s Resolutions (Community Rm.1)
Get help developing a plan and setting health goals for the coming year, and Learn how to stick to them.
- February 22 - Exercise with Eric
Focus on exercising your body and heart to stay healthy and manage your diabetes. Celebrate Heart Month!
- March 29 - National Diabetes Alert Day
Participate in fun activities and gain insight on managing diabetes.
- April 26 - Focus on Breakfast and Snacking
Join a VMH Dietitian to help develop creative new menu options for a healthy start to the day.
- May 31 - Summer drinks without the sugar
A VMH Dietitian will show you recipes and offer advice on creating refreshing drinks that will fit with your meal plan.
- June 28 - Shopping with the Dietitian
Location: Village Market, 2 - 3 p.m.
Advice on healthy shopping and sticking to your meal plan.
- July 26 - True Story
A presentation by a patient who has participated in VMH Diabetes Education program.
- August 30 - Coping with Diabetes
Learn how to work through some of the more emotional aspects of diabetes and learn about local resources that are available to you.
- September 27 - Diabetes and Heart Health
Learn about heart health as well as screenings that are available.
- October 25 - Nutrition Labels
Learn how to read nutrition labels and serve correct portion sizes.
- November 15 - Happy Healthy Holidays
Gain insight on how to stay on track during the holiday season.
Call (608) 637-4483 for more information