The Vernon Memorial Healthcare Foundation and the Friends of VMH offer health career scholarships to individuals pursuing or furthering their education in the health care field. Eligibility is based upon several criteria…
- The applicant must be a college student currently enrolled (and accepted) in a degree program at an accredited college, university or technical school pursuing a degree in a medical,nursing or health care related field.
- The applicant must be entering their final academic year of a technical, certificate, or associate degree program or have completed at least two years of study in a bachelor degree program.
- The applicant must have achieved a grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4-point-scale), or equivalent, for the academic year immediately prior to application.
- The applicant must satisfy all application requirements and be received by the indicated due date in order to be considered.
- Previous scholarship award recipients are eligible to reapply.
Preference will be given to candidates from the Vernon Memorial Healthcare service area who possess goals of working in health care careers supported by Vernon Memorial Healthcare or rural health care.
No applicant will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex or sexual orientation, age, handicap, marital status, arrest record, conviction record, or membership in the national guard, state defense force or any reserve component of the military forces of the United States or this state or any other category protected by law.
Scholarship Program Descriptions
Jens Fuhr Scholarship Fund
Jens Fuhr, a former Vernon County resident, wanted to show his appreciation for the outstanding care he received while he was a patient at Vernon Memorial Healthcare. A trust fund was created to provide scholarships for children and grandchildren of his former friends. The scholarship fund is to be used exclusively for students obtaining an education in the medical field. These scholarship funds are under the care of the Vernon Memorial Healthcare Foundation.
Palmer Hovde Scholarship Fund
Palmer I. Hovde, a former Westby area farmer, wished to assist students in securing an education in the health care field by giving Vernon Memorial Healthcare a generous bequest through his estate. The interest on these invested funds has been and will continue to be used for scholarships. These scholarship funds are under the care of the Vernon Memorial Healthcare Foundation.
Friends of VMH Health Career Scholarship Fund
Friends of VMH, through its Gift Shop and various fund-raising activities, provides scholarships to students pursuing nursing careers. The scholarship program was originated in 1951 to encourage young people to enter the health care profession.
Vernon Memorial Healthcare Nurse’s Club Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1991 and was initiated at the request of Thor Thorson and Bill Reed as a means of utilizing memorial contributions in memory of their respective mothers, Inga Thorson and Jesse Reed. Other memorial contributions have been added to these funds. This scholarship may be awarded to one individual or divided and given to several recipients.