At VMH, we strive to help patients manage their diabetes so that they can live long and healthy lives and avoid serious long-term health problems. Many of the complications of diabetes can be prevented with good blood glucose control. Our nurse, dietitians and exercise physiologists use a team approach to help you develop a personalized diabetes management plan that matches your individual needs.
We work with people who have:
- Type I diabetes
- Type II diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
Education sessions with the nurse and dietitian will focus on the American Association of Diabetes Educators’ 7 Self-Care Behaviors, which include healthy eating, being active, monitoring, taking medication, problem-solving, reducing risks and healthy coping.
What will you learn at your visits?
- Understanding diabetes and the different types of diabetes
- Individualized nutrition planning
- Lifestyle modifications
- Knowing your lab values (Hemoglobin A1c, blood glucose)
- The symptoms and complications of diabetes
- Treatments for diabetes
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Latest technologies and recommendations
- How to give yourself injections of medications if needed
The VMH Diabetes Education team will help you gain the knowledge you will need to manage your diabetes and live the best life you can.